Wednesday, January 27, 2010

THE BOOK of ELI- Possible/Minor Spoiler

The-Book-of-Eli-Poster

 

Yesterday I went and saw a movie somewhat because of a whim. A friend wanted to go see a movie and offered to pay my ticket. I really wanted to spend time with her before she headed back to school next week so she came over and chilled while I finished my cleaning and decided on the Book of Eli because of the action-packed trailer. I only knew that Denzel Washington was in the movie and it was full of action which I love in a movie. I was not aware of the religious background and implications that the movie had as well as the impact it would have on my life.

He (Eli) risks life and limb to do what the Holy Spirit has told him as clear as day. He doesn't let anything stand in his way as he follows the direction of the Spirit. In a world that knows nothing of the Bible or "Christianity" he is the bright spot in the darkness, reading his Bible every day without fail no matter the opposition or obstacles in his way. Coming across a slave girl Eli ends up allowing her to continue traveling with him even though Eli has had the Bible stolen, though the thief with evil intentions never gets to read it before succumbing to mortal wounds. Though without the Bible, Eli and Solara, played by Mila Kunis (slave in the movie, Jackie Burkhart of "That 70's Show"), make it to his destination and he recites word for word out of memory the entire Bible as someone writes it all down.

Now, while the movie was rated "R", it seemed to be mostly from a violence and blood aspect, may have been some foul language but not very much if any. It may seem a little dark but really is not and is mostly just the setting in which the story takes place.

Check out the trailers here!

"How far are we willing to go in response to God's call?What kind of sacrifices would we make to defend the Word of God?" -Craig Detweiler, Director of Pepperdine University's Center for Entertainment, Media and Culture

This movie showed me how little memorization of Scripture I actually have and how I need to have this be a focus in my life. School for me doesn't start until February 15th, giving me plenty of time to get a good start on things before having to be concerned with other things as well. Back in the 1st Century boys young as 12 and 13 had entire books of the Bible memorized and I, about to enter a new decade age group of the 20's have but some select verses here and there to memory. This is something I am going to focus on and encourage you to do the same, and to see the Book of Eli as well for inspiration and an insight into living for Christ and following His plan for your life!

Read more about the movie and its Christian emphasis here. (Please click and read)

No comments: