Sunday, February 6, 2011

Taking Charge (Joshua 1)

Welcome back! After a long time off into oblivion I am back and posting again, hopefully on a regular basis once again.

Growing up the main thing in my life has been soccer. It was the only sport growing up where my lack of size didn't harm my ability to do well to a great extent until I hit the end of high school and college, which I learned to adjust for and play smart to offset my physical deficiencies. Once my playing career ended I was looking for a way to both stay involved with soccer and also needed some additional income so I contacted my local club which I had played for seeking a coaching position. I had the opportunity to either be a head coach for 9 year olds or assist with a team of 12 year old boys. Not having had any direct coaching experience I decided that the assistant position would be best to just adjust to coaching and how that went because it was a totally new thing I was stepping in to. Last year I had the privileged of learning underneath a intelligent and personable coach. This year I am a head coach, on my own, of a team of 14 year old girls.  Not only am I on a new adventure as a head coach but have a completely new audience to teach in girls.

This morning at Restoration (church I attend) the sermon was on Joshua and how he had been under the training of Moses and now, without Moses, was in charge of the entire nation and bringing them into the promised land.

            1 After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses'  assistant,2 "Moses my servant is dead. Now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you and all  this people, into the land that I am giving to them, to the people of Israel.3 Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, just as I promised to Moses. (Joshua 1:1-3).


Being in charge and directing 14 junior high girls in one collected goal has seemed like a daunting task at times but today I re-heard a verse (Joshua 1:9) which I have memorized over a Backstreet Boys song. (It was from a church camp session, and if you haven't tried it yet, putting verses to modern song tunes works wonders!) 


          9 This is my command: Be strong and courageous. Do no be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.


Even in trying to lead this group of energetic and spunky group of girls I know that I can do this and with His help I can prepare properly for success this season. Not only with this temporary aspect in my life of coaching, but also as I am just finishing up school and preparing to head into full time ministry, God will be there and is with me, so whom shall I fear? NO ONE!  




Where in your life are you timid or afraid, how can God use you in your situation, and what resources has He put around you to help you accomplish this for His glory?

Don't be the person who plays it safe   

No comments: