Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Brothers In Unity (Psalm 133)

One of the greatest days for some can be the saddest for others, for the same reason. Last night I helped my closest friend pack and carry the last of his things to his car as he was preparing to leave college and head home to his family, fiancee, and pastoral internship. His family and fiancee were definitely excited as it meant he would be returning home and would be able to see him on a regular basis, if not daily. I on the other hand would get to see him in person even less, though thanks to technology and the wonders of Skype I will hopefully be able to see him (albeit on a computer screen) fairly regularly.  Although I may not have physically shed a tear...ok maybe just one, it is saddening to see him go. Looking back over the last three years I never thought we would end up this close nor have him touch my life the way he has.

Walking along our freshman floor, the person now I am closest too more than any other is the least likely person I would have thought so then. We were quite opposite in many ways. I was super small, he was ripped and all muscle. He woke up early and went to bed early while I favor more of a stay up somewhat late and sleep in type of schedule. He was really neat and I...well lets just say I had trouble keeping things neat. Though as we got to know each other, both informally and socially constructed activities we started to get to know each other and found things to bond over such as Frisbee golf (frolf). If it was a warm sunny day and most of the homework was done, or even if it wasn't, we would go shoot a round. This is where we learned the most the quickest about each other because it was either talk or be in awkward silence.

It is because of him that I am where I am now in my faith. He has no idea how many times he has helped correct me or prevent me from going further away from where I needed to be. I opened up my newly bought Bible and just opened it to start to break it in and the first page it opened to had Psalm 133 on it.
"Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity! It is like the precious oil on the head, running down on the beard, on the beard of Aaron, running down on the collar of his robes! It is like the dew of Hermon, which falls on the mountains of Zion! For there the LORD has commanded the blessing, life forevermore. (ESV)"
 It truly is good and pleasant to dwell in unity with brothers in Christ. Those time on the frolf course where some of the best times I can remember. From talking about life, to watching and thinking about our crazy celebrations over the luckiest of shots. I owe so much to this brother and only hope to be able to give not only back to him but to others as well. His fiancee is one lucky lady. Love you bro!

No comments: